Monday, February 1, 2016

Blogroll Stories of Religious Folly

Folly of Religion
and Other Underworld Stories

Fear-Based Belief in Armageddon is a Lie

Fear is not a motivator. Rather, fear is a paralyzer. The religious teaching of wicked people being destroyed at Armageddon (god's war) is a serious lie that flies in the face of love. Read more…

Did Jesus Really Die for Me?

The Orthodox Christian God Jehovah (YHWH) is a father who is actually proud that he contracted his son’s death for 30 pieces of silver; then, for the rest of our human lives we are beholden via guilt to worship this vile god. Humans are threatened by fear and death to obey a god who made abusive demands on his son and continues to make similar disrespectful demands on any followers. This god then compels by threat of death, insisting that we owe our life, our gratitude to him for offering this blood sacrifice. Read more…

Dichotomy of Religion

Oh *sigh* I suppose this is what can happen when Mercury is in retrograde:
When I left religion
I sacrificed my beloved children
On the altar
of religion.
I left and they stayed.
Now I’m shunned.
Abandoned by their love.
Yet, I am free
From religion.
But religion turned our hearts to stone.
Read more…


Obedience or Free Will

After walking away from an antiquated patriarchal belief system, "Phoenix of Faith" author has to admit that some days are better than others. Being "born into" the family religion means that Esther knew no other way of living, other than being frightened into submission. Read more…

Shunning Ex-Members is a Religious Requirement

While browsing the internet today I stumbled across an interesting video. It is of particular interest to me because it was on the subject of religious shunning. While Jehovah's Witnesses official stance is that they do not interfere in family life, it is a personal choice to shun or not. Nevertheless, according to the video posted, I see clearly the official stance is merely propaganda for public consumption, in order to create the appearance of a benign religion … Read More…

Saving Souls

A woman tried to save my soul yesterday. Perhaps its because of the Christmas season. Nevertheless, she began by asking if I believe in Jesus. Read more…

Following My Conscience

Every once in awhile I see political or religious leaders speaking of women's rights. These are mostly (but not always) men who know nothing of what it means to be a woman. They claim authority based on their adherence to a religion or some public policy. They profess to be following their conscience.
What conscience? Read more…

Hand-Holding Banned

"No holding hands in the school yard!" commands the newest law in Tennessee. What better way to start a child off in life than teaching children to…withhold natural affection from their friends???    The reasoning behind it is…Read more…

Deconstructing Religion

When I write I see my father in me, especially when I feel angry about an injustice. He used to write letters to people with whom he was angry. I was afraid of my father. So afraid I ran away from home when I was sixteen after he had predicted my death. Read more…

Disillusioned by Religion

"In the past I thought religion was all about 'belonging' and 'Jesus loves me.' But when I attended church we felt so terribly judged," my friend explained how she felt about religion. Read more…

Residues of the Bible

Without a doubt, the Bible is a most influential book, and not in a healthy way. As a child, the Bible was used by my parents to teach me obedience and subjection. It was a book that instilled fear — a book of oppression filled with harsh, punishing beliefs. My parents used the Bible to produce compliant children who were easy to control and manipulate. Read more…

Kill the Apostates!

Jehovah's Witnesses consider themselves a "moderate" religion. However, what follows is an excerpt from their Watchtower magazine, which reveals a truth about them that they might not wish to discuss when they ring your doorbell: Read more…

Outgrowing Religion

I outgrew my religion. Jehovah’s Witnesses is one of many religions full of oppressive rules which members are not allowed to question. If a member has doubts and questions, he/she is viewed as a “Doubting Thomas.” The member is then watched with suspicion, as he/she might be an “Apostate” — a heretic, an infidel, a Judas. After all, he/she might be the one bad apple that spoils the entire bushel basket. The only way to prevent “spiritual contamination” is to watch everyone. Even better, if the elders could get its members to tell on one another. And that is exactly what they do. Read more…

Bullying in the Name of God

What can society do with religious bullies? You find them in most religions of the world today. I certainly experienced it in my life, starting with my father and working up the patriarchal line of elders who finally judged my faith as "defective" and disfellowshipped me. Read more…

Religion Pretends to Offer Choice to Women

Interestingly, I find myself following tweets about Michele Bachmann’s ideologies. I have been directed to the Reality Check website several times in the past few days. Information I am gleaning indicates that Bachmann’s is an anti-feminist movement of the Republican right wing of religious fanaticism. She and her followers are against abortions and against freedom for women in general. She promotes women’s strict biblical adherence to their husbandly wishes, which quickly translates to “loss of self.” Read more…
 

Religion is a Structure of Co-Dependence

Religion is a structure of co-dependence whereby people are taught they cannot live without it. To be sure, religion cannot survive without its members. Like an alcoholic or drug addict, the religious people “need their fix.” And like an alcoholic or drug addict, the churches need a cash flow to keep functioning—somewhat. Read more…
 

Depression, Suicide and Religion

I know of a Jehovah's Witness woman who is currently in the psychiatric ward because she tried to commit suicide. She is not alone. Other women in this religion have also tried that exit route, including me back in 1996. Read more…
 

Patriarchal Control

The Bible is full of patriarchal double-talk used to control its members. As far as I'm concerned, the Jehovah's Witness patriarchy is out of balance. Only men are allowed to claim special knowledge of the human condition. Men who have been designated "elder" may have never been married and never had children, yet it is their job to instruct women how to be good wives. Read more…
 

Crime & Punishment

A man gets arrested for stealing an apple. Instead of dealing with the thief directly, the judge's son gets murdered to pay for the theft of the apple that someone else ate. Does the punishment fit the crime? Sounds bizarre. Read more…
 

Just Say “NO!” to Religious Fanaticism

The Baptist Minister thinks he was right to burn the Qur'an, after all "The Muslims are the Apostates and will burn in hell!" Conversely, the Muslims think they have the only right view, "The Christians are the Infidels and deserve to die!" With each religious group convinced they have the exclusive channel to "Truth" there can be no cultural growth.
Muslims and Baptists are not the only religions on the planet who have this mentality. Read more...
 

Kindness of a Stranger

I was half a block away from the corner when the bus rolled up to the stop. "Oh, darn," I thought dejectedly. "There goes my bus."
It was Monday morning and I was feeling sorry for myself. Read more…
 

Christianity: Two Kinds

Christianity, the Orthodox kind, believes in a murderous, bloodthirsty, warring god. Here’s why: The Orthodox Christian God is a father who is actually proud that he contracted his son’s death for 30 pieces of silver; then, for the rest of our human lives we are beholden via guilt to worship this vile god. Read more…
 

Shameful Secrets in Religion

Child sexual predators need to be stopped. Full stop. Add religion to the mix and child sexual predation becomes a legal nightmare. In my opinion, Warren Jeffs is a child sexual predator. But, because his activities are protected under the umbrella of "religious freedom" he is getting away with his patriarchal abuses…at least thus far. Read more…
 

Questionnaire about Free Will

Please feel free to read my previous post of January 9, 2011 called "Respect and Religion" before analyzing the level of respect in your religious institution. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by being honest and open with yourself. Here are some questions to ask yourself*: Read more…
 

Respect and Religion

I had an opportunity to see old friends on New Years' Eve when my partner and I went out dinner-dancing at a wonderful club where our group occasionally enjoys gathering. We talked with our friends about how busy our lives have become in the past year. We wondered about another couple who have recently disappeared from our lives Read more…
 

“Pagan” Events — Then and Now

"Mrs. Breland, my beloved teacher in Grade Two, said if any of us had a younger brother or sister, we could bring them to school one special day. It was Halloween and I proudly invited Andy, my brother next in line. Mrs. Breland handed out a picture of a cow to for all her students and younger brothers and sisters to color. I looked over to see that Andy was coloring his cow in polka dots. Read more…
 

Polygamy: Symptom of Religious Conditioning

I am a 56-year-old woman who has recently enrolled in several university courses with the intention of receiving a couple of certificates and a degree. Why now at this stage of life? Read more…
 

Pick Up Your Cot and Walk

"Pick up your cot and walk." Those were Jesus' words, weren't they? Just after he healed a paralyzed man? (Mark 2:9)
Whenever I think about the Bible, I flash back to some point of time when I used to belong to a patriarchal religious organization.  Read more…
 

Tribunal of Religious Elders

No sooner I climbed into bed and turned out the lights I was flooded with memories of the tribunal of elders who disfellowshipped me. The process of disfellowshipping quite literally cut me off from my family. My kids were told they could no longer have association of any kind with me. Read more…



Visit "Phoenix of Faith" to learn more about the author's memoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment