Thursday, February 9, 2017

Mind Control Tactics in Religion

The act of shunning is a mind control tactic used by some religious groups to control their entire organization, using one so-called “scripturally-based” announcement. It’s an effective tool used to instantly discredit any member who dares to disobey the strict rules members are expected to follow. Members are forbidden to speak to or have anything to do with a disfellowshipped person. The entire religious community is required to engage in the shunning behavior. Sometimes the shunning results in an ex-member committing suicide. I write about several people I knew personally, while I was still involved in the religion. Directly or indirectly, suicide becomes the consequence of harmful religious beliefs ending badly.


Mind Control Tactics in Jehovah’s Witnesses

In a cloistered religious community such as the Jehovah’s Witnesses, when people get disfellowshipped, they often believe they have failed God and become self-condemning. The act of disfellowshipping discredits the ex-members and destroys their character. Consequently, their entire network of support is ripped away, including one’s own immediate believing family members. The worst thing about the heinous act of shunning is that when ex-members in desperation try to kill themselves, they receive no support. Ex-members are further condemned by the belief they are not entitled to a resurrection if they succeed in self-destructive behavior. In other words, eternal damnation awaits, according to their belief system.

Disfellowshipping is a fear-based teaching which paralyzes all members into submission, lest others receive the same harsh treatment. Tremendous pressure to conform to the herd mentality is brought to bear on erring ones and members-in-good-standing, alike. Disfellowshipping is the tool used by the few to control the many in the religious arena.

I don’t believe in blaming people. People react from their belief system and some religions believe in harsh rules. No, I would never turn the consequences back on the disfellowshipped ones. Here’s why. In my case, I believe my soul led me out of the religion according to my soul’s own right timing. How do I know? When I heard the news about my disfellowshipping, the most peaceful feeling swept over me. All I can say, it was a feeling of sheer grace that I will never forget. I knew I would be okay by purging the old beliefs.

Anytime I feel lonely for my family members who shun me, I recall that immense feeling of peacefulness and calmness. I am immediately reminded that my soul did the job it was called to do. That incident helps me remember who I am. Perhaps I was meant to experience what it was like to be shunned, so I could be in a position to reach out to others who suffer by being shunned. Suffering only continues unabated if people attempt to stay with the beliefs that got them into their shunned state. For me, that was the key to leaving successfully.

As I have said on several occasions, the only way to survive being shunned is to purge the harmful belief system and replace it with something more functional. In the metaphysical sense, when ones become affected by religious shunning, it is important to heal feelings of inadequacy, undeservability, low self-esteem, and herd mentality. It’s a long road, but their outer world will appear friendlier when such therapy is complete.

Related Posts


Read how I shunned my beloved mom.


Read the personal account of my own disfellowshipping..


Watchtower Uses Shunning to control the flock.


Link to Watchtower article promoting shunning.


Depression, Suicide, and Religion.





Visit website "Phoenix of Faith" the memoir. Follow on Twitter: _Phoenixoffaith Copyright © 2012. Permission is granted to copy and re-distribute this transmission on the condition that it is distributed freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment